These 8 bokeh brushes were used to create the MediaLoot Ultimate Bokeh Background Pack (pictured above). With a little configuration and some practice, you'll be able to use these brushes to create your very own bokeh backgrounds and customize them for any project necessary.
Note that it is important to follow these instructions in order to get the proper effect from these brushes. The brush shapes themselves are only half of the effect, so make sure to read through this before getting started. If you aren't familiar with using Photoshop brushes, don't worry -- it's really not too difficult.
Using the Brushes:
Getting the Bokeh Effect:
- Save the resource file and extract the ABR file to a directory you can remember
- Open an existing Photoshop file or create a new document
- Find the brush palette, or open it by going to Window >> Brushes
- In the upper right of the brush palette there is a small down arrow next to a set of lines, this is the extended menu.
- Click on the extended menu and find the option to "Load Brushes"
- Find the extracted ABR file and click okay. This should populate the brush palette with your new styles.
- Create a new layer, and then select the brush tool and then move on to the next set of instructions.
- Open the brush menu again (if it isn't still open) and click on the extended menu
- At the top of the menu, click on "Extended View" -- this will show a new set of options in the brush palette
- Click on "Shape Dynamics" and set the options to: Size Jitter, 100%
- Click on "Scattering" and set the options to: Scatter, both axes, 1000%
- Click on "Other Dynamics" and set the options to: Opacity Jitter, 100%
- Now your brush is ready to go. Only a few more steps left!
- Create a new layer and add a gradient background with a few colors (whatever you want)
- Create a new layer and set the layer style to "Color Dodge"
- Pick the brush tool again and set it to white with 50% opacity
- Drag the brush across your new layer. You should see the bokeh effect appear before your eyes :-)
- Create more bokeh highlight layers with different sizes, and then add some Gaussian blur to your taste
- Download the PSD file from the "Ultimate Bokeh Background Pack" to see mroe examples
By purchasing or downloading this item you are agreeing to abide by all terms and conditions laid out in the MediaLoot License Agreement. View the full license >